b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 03:51:21 +0000

Peter,

The weqatal form to which you are referring is a continuation form. This
means that it usually gets its mood from a previous clause (there are
exceptions to this, but they are exceptions). In this case, the imperative
עלו sets the imperatival mood, and this is continued by the weqatal והבאתם.
The nature of the continuation is that the weqatal does not move onto a
completely independent thought, but rather sees its action as being in
seamless continuity with the initial imperative. In other words, these are
not two separate instructions ('Go up! Bring!') but one complex instruction
('Go up and bring').

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia