b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:55:10 +0100 (CET)

Dear Friends of B-Heb,

I'm reading through the prophet Haggai and came around Chapter 1,8. The
writer first used "ALU" (Qal Imperativ) in the sentence followed by "Bo"
as Waw Consec. (Hiphil) - same Person as the Imperativ.
My question regarding the translation: is it possible to see "Bo" not with
imperatival force as many translations do, but as consecutive: "Go up to
the mountain in order to bring wood".
I tend to treat the Waw Consec. not necessesary as imperatival, as the
writer easily could have used a imperative form there.
Thank you for any help ! I've found nothing helpful in commentaries.
Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany
wwww.streitenberger.com