b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:09:02 +0000

Hi Karl!

Sorry if I misread you there — my apologies for that.

I disagree that all the verbal conjugations state simple fact, though I know
what it is you're getting at. Using an aspectual approach, I'd argue Qatal
presents an action as an accomplished fact, and view it simply and
concretely. This is quite different to Yiqtol, which has a more complex view
and, therefore, a wider range of possible translations into English. The
Yiqtol has no specific occurrence of an action in view. It either looks at
things generally (e.g. gnomic present), as occurring many times (e.g.
habitual past), or as not having occurred yet (e.g. future, subjunctive). The
distinction I'm drawing here is not just that the verbs state something (of
course they do!), but how they present the action (an aspectual question).
Yiqtol verbs do not present an action as simple, concrete fact. Furthermore,
Wayyiqtol is aspectually different to Qatal, in presenting an action as
though it were happening 'live', thus producing a sense of momentum.

The continuation idea you raise is interesting. My instinct is to say that
Weqatal should be used, since it's the continuation verb in Hebrew. However,
how would we achieve that in this case without a wholesale rearrangement of
the syntax and, therefore, a very different poetic structure? Yiqtol can
often be used to indicate potential result or purpose, so that could provide
some sense of logical continuation. But I don't think that makes much sense
here in Ps 1.1. So how exactly are you seeing continuation with the Yiqtol
happening in 1.2?

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia