b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 17:18:06 -0800

Peter:

The whole psalm is present tense, imperfective aspect. What we deal with
here is different moods.

In the first verse, there are three declarative phrases that defines a
blessed person. Hence the Qatal in all three phrases.

The second verse the Yiqtol indicates the desire, or subjunctive use of the
verb.

The third verse shows another aspect of the Yiqtol, namely the following of
a main clause which is Qatal, i.e. secondary to the main.

And we can go on.

The Qatal and Yiqtol conjugations reference neither tense (past, present,
future) nor aspect (completed, uncompleted action), and this psalm gives
examples that this is the case.

Karl W. Randolph.