b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats gadol <> qamats qaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats gadol <> qamats qaton
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 05:58:42 -0500

There are indeed no two qamatsim, never was (in my opinion) and never will be. What I said (see my remark on CARPAT, 'France') is that occasionally we elect to override the NIKUD to enhance the clarity of our speech. Since the singular is MOTEN, 'loin', we prefer to pluralize it as MOTNAYIM and not MATNAYIM, and since it is O$ER, 'wealth', we prefer to say O$RO, 'his wealth' instead of A$RO, but this has nothing to do with the theologically motivated invention of the gadol and the qatan.

The NIKUD was not given to Moses on mount Sinai, and the NAKDANIM need not have the last word on it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University