b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Modern Pronounciation - not related to the BH list

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Modern Pronounciation - not related to the BH list
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:54:52 -0500

1. Of course it is rashi; roshi is 'my head'.

2. There is no such thing as a qamatz qatan or qamatz gadol or qamatz beinoni, or who knows what. If someone wants to read MATNAYIM, 'loins', as MOTNAYIM to make it agree with the singular MOTEN, that's fine, but let him please leave out this pilpulistic gimmick, this TIXMUN, of the qamatz qatan and qamatz gadol. You want to read לְחָרְבוֹת חֹרֶב as LXORBOT XOREB for good cadence, this is also fine, the NIKUD was not given to Moses on mount Sinai.

3. The Hebrew dictionary of Even Shoshan spells it צוהריים

Isaac Fried, Boston University