b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 23:23:37 -0300

Jim:

I do not have time to interact in detail with each of your points, but you
still have not presented any evidence for your position. (You make one good
point, which I concede below, but it still doesn't support your theory.) You
repeatedly say things like, "the text presents..." or "the Hebrew text tells
us...", and then finish the sentence with things that the text simply does
not say! What you really mean is: "The reconstruction of events that I would
like to suggest, which I believe is compatible with the details and implied
by the narrative, is...". And in this case, as in many others, my response
is: No, it is not even compatible with the text, much less implied by the
narrative. I will let others decide whether they agree or not.

But in brief, a few points of response:

1. I concede your point on Hagar being Sarai's handmaiden (in Genesis 16:2)
- you're right on the importance of that fact for the child to be Sarai's.
Note: This does NOT amount to evidence for your theory. It adds not a shred
of probability. It simply means Genesis 16:2 does not *undermine* your
theory.

2. However, Genesis 15:2: Despite your long response, this really does
undermine your argument. Your point on (RYRY is meaningless: of course it
means "childless", unless you want to press the etymological fallacy to an
extreme. In fact, vv.3-4 make it perfectly clear that Abraham means,
literally, "childless"; hence:

- v.3, Abraham complains that YHWH has given him no ZR(. No mention of Sarai
- "you have given *me* no seed". And no mention of a proper male heir / a
son by his beloved main wife, just "seed". For Abraham.

- v.4, Furthermore, in response to the strange phrase about "Eliezer of
Damascus" in v.3b, the LORD's promise is that "this one will not inherit
you, but rather he who will come out of your own loins, he will inherit
you." The contrast is very clear: his current heir did not come from his
(Abraham's) own loins. He has no child, period.

3. You wrote: [JS] "At a minimum, Abraham has 8 named sons. The text
presents Abraham siring Isaac in Abraham’s old age as being semi-miraculous,
a feature which is an integral part of the Covenant between Abraham and
YHWH. So we know that Abraham’s other 7 named sons were born before Isaac.
The implication is that the 6 named sons by Keturah were born before Ishmael
. . ."

Huh??!?! No, we do NOT "know" the former, and the latter is nowhere
"implied"! Isaac's birth was miraculous mainly because Sarai was barren
(Gen. 11:30; 16:2). Yes, they were both old, but as you point out, there is
clearly no problem with Abraham's virility - he bore Ishmael with no
problem. The main obstacle was that "The way of women had ceased to be with
Sarah" (18:11). Once Isaac was born, who's to say Abraham didn't think to
himself, "maybe more are possible"?

As for ALL the other 6 named children being born before Ishmael: This is
pure speculation. Abraham was 86 when Ishmael was born, and lived to 175.
Again, as you point out, there is no problem in the narrative with his
virility. Exactly what is there to suggest that some of these children
weren't born, say, when he was 88, 90, 92, 94, 96 or 98?

We don't even know, in fact, that he married Keturah before Sarah's death!
It's a reasonable proposal - there are any number of reasonable proposals
one could make, because of the millions of details the narrator isn't
particularly interested in - but none of these things are in the text, nor
even implied. You seem to imagine you are sensitive to subtle hints in the
text, but it ain't so!

You even have the audacity to write: "So even on your theory of the case,
Ishmael is the second to last born of 8 named sons of Abraham." Are you
serious, Jim??? Are you even reading what I'm writing? On my theory of the
case, the text seems to present Ishmael as Abraham's first-born son, but if
that's not the case, then we have absolutely no idea where in the order of
sons he came.

4. On NPL, appealing to Genesis 14:10, you write:

[JS] "Several commentators have noted that if the text ended here, we would
think that the princeling ruler of Sodom had “died”, since NPL in a battle
context normally implies “died”, not merely “fell”. But in fact, we find
out at the end of chapter 14 of Genesis that the princeling ruler of Sodom
had merely literally “fallen” into the slimepits, rather than having died
there. It’s a great example of how NPL can mean “die”, and it’s also a
great example of how the Hebrew author often makes us wait before giving us
additional important information that is needed to understand things he has
said before."

You have managed to back up my point, and contradict yourself at the same
time! You've helpfully pointed out that, despite what one might be tempted
to think, NPL here clearly does not mean "die", it simply means "fell". So
it is not at all an example of how NPL can mean "die", because it doesn't!
Hence, as I said, NPL n-e-v-e-r means "die" in the Patriarchal Narratives.
(Oh, and even if it did mean "die" in Gen 14, which it doesn't, it's in a
battle context, which Gen 25 isn't!)

That's all I am going to comment on. If there's anyone else on the list who
thinks there is a shred of credibility in your reconstruction, I might look
at it again, but otherwise I'm not going to take more time on this. Feel
free to have the last word (if the moderators allow you).

Cheers,
Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile