b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Order of Death: A Key to Understanding Genesis
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:28:26 -0300

Jim:

OK, I'll take up this one (at least with one reply!). I don't often get to
the end of your posts, but once again, unfortunately, the supreme confidence
of your claims clashes with massive leaps of logic in your arguments.

1. Your claim: "the Hebrew text of Genesis tells us that each of Ishmael and
Joseph was the second youngest of 12 sons."

The bases of your claim (emphasis mine):

- JS: "Though we don’t hear about Abraham’s sons by minor wives until a
later point in the text, nevertheless such sons WOULD HAVE BEEN sired by
Abraham at a younger age."

Really? How do we know? Genesis certainly doesn't tell us that. All of them
born before Ishmael in Genesis 16??? Then why on earth does Sarah say what
she does in Gen 16:2? And why did Abraham say in Gen 15:2 that Eliezer of
Damascus would be his heir, if in fact he already had at least half a dozen
natural sons?

It simply doesn't work. And even if somehow your guess is right, this is
something that "the Hebrew text of Genesis" simply does not tell us,
contrary to your claim.

- JS: "Genesis 25: 2 reports 6 named sons . . . , and Genesis 25: 6 vaguely
mentions "sons of concubines", without giving more details. We can PROBABLY
FIGURE OUT that there were 4 such "sons of concubines" [because both Jacob
and Nahor had 12 sons] . . . Of Abraham’s 12 sons [or approximately 12
sons], it is CLEAR that Ishmael was the second youngest."

Exactly how is anything "clear" in all this? It is pure speculation, based
on thin air. And again, even if you happen to be correct, this is something
that "the Hebrew text of Genesis" does not tell us. Does not even "imply" it
to anybody except you. In fact, if the author of the Patriarchal Narratives
had wanted us to see the connection, why on earth would he not have
specified that there were 4 sons of concubines?? And named them also, as was
customary? There is no reason whatsoever for the omission.

Actually, I think the most likely explanation for the lack of names is that
the "sons of his concubines" is a shorthand for Ishmael and the sons of
Keturah (notwithstanding the details his relations with Hagar and Keturah,
in terms of their respective statuses). That is, they have already been
numbered and named, and there aren't 12. And Keturah is called Abraham's
"concubine" in 1 Chr. 1:32, so there is ancient interpretation on my side.

But I repeat: even if you disagree with me on that (as no doubt you will),
it simply is not clear, nor are we told anything of the sort in "the Hebrew
text of Genesis".

2. Your claim: "The text [of Gen. 25:18] states, in straightforward Biblical
Hebrew prose, that Ishmael predeceased all of his half-brothers."

The bases of your claim:
(i) you agree with the KJV that NPL, in this context, means "to die", though
(L-PNY means "during the lifetimes of", and
(ii) NPL is used 15 times in the Patriarchal narratives, and it always means
"fell".

Jim, what you fail to mention is that, aside from this supposed instance,
NPL is never used in the Patriarchal narratives to mean "die". Not once, not
even with a faint dying connotation. In fact, as far as I can tell, in the
whole Hebrew Bible, where NPL means "die", it is almost always (if not
always) in the context of battle - i.e. "fell [in battle]" - clearly not
applicable in this case. It is simply not a normal word to report a person's
death.

Furthermore, there is a clear reference to the prophecy of Genesis 16:12:
"He shall be a wild donkey of a man, his hand against everyone and
everyone's hand against him, and he shall dwell over against all his
kinsmen." The last phrase is almost identical to the last part of Gen.
25:18: W(L-PNY KL-)XYW Y$KN. The only difference is that, in Gen. 16:12, the
verb $KN "settle, live, dwell" is used, rather than NPL.

That doesn't clear up all the issues with the best translation, but is
certainly a strong pointer towards a living (rather than dying) translation.
It at least shows that translations other than the KJV aren't quite so
"embarrassing" as you claim!

In sum: "the Hebrew text of Genesis" tells us none of the things you claim
it does.

Best regards,
Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile