b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar - THREAD ENDS TONIGHT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar - THREAD ENDS TONIGHT
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:29:23 -0700

Yigal:

What Jim claims in his posting and what he does are two different things.
I’m of the old school that teaches “Actions speak louder than words.”

>From the very beginning, “As for the dating, Jim Stinehart has long ago
indicated that he believes that Genesis is not a historical book, rather a
set of legends that were compiled centuries after the event.” He has done so
by the actions of taking the stories about Abraham out of their historical
and geographical contexts in which they are written.

He started out by denying the historical context of the Egyptian slavery and
Exodus. An Exodus that has archaeological evidence from the 13th dynasty,
long before his claimed lifetime of Abraham.

Taking out of geographical contexts: many are his posts in which he argues
that places named where Abraham sojourned are not the places recognized by
history and archeology.

In one of his earlier posts (I don’t remember which one, need to Google it)
he claimed that details were changed to make the story more palatable to the
Egyptian rulers.

He has yet to show linguistic support for his claims, and when corrected,
often just brushes the corrections off. In this latest case, translations
since the LXX have said 13th year, supported also by the context, yet the MT
text gives it as a second period of time that lasted 13 years. (Personally,
I am agnostic on the issue, recognizing the possibility of a copyist error,
possibility that a second 13 year period could have happened.)

While his words claim that he is treating the record as an autobiography,
his actions indicate that he treats the stories as legends. Actions speak
louder than words.

Karl W. Randolph.

Ps: I stopped reading his posts, read only the responses from others.