b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:54:20 -0700

Michael:

When reading without points, the context indicates that the word )T את means
“with” for the first three uses in the verse, while it is the direct object
marker for the fourth use.

These (unpointed) homographs can sometimes be a challenge with which to
deal. Context usually tells which is which.

By the way, your Hebrew letters did not come through.

Karl W. Randolph.