b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:09:24 -0500

Both really.

On 6/17/2011 1:25 PM, Pere Porta wrote:
Michael,
The subject title of your post seems to point to the difference segol-tsere.
While the body of you post points to the double meaning (with and object marker) of preposition aleph-tav.
Are you interested in the first or in the second issue?
Kind regards from
Pere Porta

2011/6/17 Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net <mailto:mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>>

I was just reading Genesis 37:2 when I noticed that the word for
with is
written the same as the direct object marker where it says Joseph was
shepherding the flock with his brothers.

HAYAH RO)EH(ET-(EXAYN

Does this reflect an alternate pronunciation, was the scribe
suggesting
that Joseph was supervising his brothers, or is there another
reason for
the spelling?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy