b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why )ET instead of )"T
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:17:04 -0500

I was just reading Genesis 37:2 when I noticed that the word for with is written the same as the direct object marker where it says Joseph was shepherding the flock with his brothers.

HAYAH RO)EH(ET-(EXAYN

Does this reflect an alternate pronunciation, was the scribe suggesting that Joseph was supervising his brothers, or is there another reason for the spelling?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy