b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] why dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] why dagesh?
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:50:10 -0400

If you mean MA-XMAD-IY, then the dagesh in the D is after a patax as expected. In the word MA-RBAD-IYM ( in my opinion a variant of MA- RBAC-IYM) the D is with a dagesh after a patax, as expected, but the lack of a dagesh "lene" in the B is puzzling. I think that the lack of a dagesh implies that the NAKDANIYM deviated here from the reading of the earlier DAG$ANIYM.

Isaac Fried, Boston University