b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tevel vs Evel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tevel vs Evel
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 00:01:36 -0200

dear pere,

the type of questions you have been asking relate to post-masoretic hebrew,
i.e. involves shoresh AND niqud. there is nothing wrong with this, except
(as is becoming clear (for me) from recent correspondence) you are considering
a dialect consolidated over a very long time. so, i dont know
if you can expect very clear-cut answers or a single logic behind the words.

my best shot is this: words with cere-segol are true nouns derived from
verbs, and allow the plural. they contain all 3 letters of a recognized
hebrew root. and stress on the 1st syllable

the small set of words with cere-cere may have originated from other word
constructions which do not allow the plural: teveth (the name of a month), and
tevel (there is only one...). they do not coincide with the three
letters of a recognized hebrew root (unless the late TBL=spice is included
as a root; even there, hebrew makes an exception and calls it TAVLIYN).
and stress on the second syllable.

what these alleged "other constructions" were, i cannot imagine. as i
fail to see agriculture in the semitic (lunar!) months, i can only
imagine TEVETH to have an astronomical connotation - by the way,
so does TEVEL...

i also wonder why you consider those and not, for example, segol-segol.

best
nir cohen

Cópia: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>