b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Again on hireq/sere

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Again on hireq/sere
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 06:40:39 +0200

Dear listers,

I'm afraid I was misunderstood concerning my question on words with hireq in
the first syllable and sere in the second.

I have done for years a deep study of the vowel (or pointing, if you prefer)
patterns really existing in the Hebrew language for basic words consisting
of three root letters. And I found these are 164 in number. I found 164
different vowel patterns for this word kind.

Now, concerning those words, I found that a hireq in the first syllable and
a sere in the second (and nothing else! nothing of dagesh!) is only used for
those Pi'el basic forms that have a guttural for their second letter. Verb
NI)"C, to spurn (2Sa 12:14 or Ps 10:3) would be a good example.

My question is: does the Hebrew language use this vowel (or pointing, if you
prefer) pattern for other purposes? Are there in Hebrew nouns, adjectives,
adverbs... having ONLY a hireq in their first syllable and a sere in their
second syllable (no dagesh, no shewa, no patah furtivum... at all!)?

Regards from

--
Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)