b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Northern and Southern Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Northern and Southern Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:10:39 -0700

Yigal:

Jeremiah 6:21 has רעו R(W and he was pre-Exile and Southern, but to be
balanced, he used רעהו R(HW 13 times. It could be that רעו R(W was a
recognized “low-life” use that may have been used for centuries, just not
recognized as being “literary” (in the same manner as “aint” in English has
been used for centuries, but is still not “respectable”).

רעו R(W is never found in a “northern” context in Tanakh.

Karl W. Randolph.