b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

Karl and Randall,
Randall:  I agree with you absolutely, only those roots that are R-(-H  =
R-(-Y are candidates for  (רעיון) Ra(YoN.  I became aware of that while I was
writing, but was too busy to fix the post.  I did feel that all of the words
that I expounded upon was relevant to the discussion.  I do not agree however
that any root in Hebrew with Tsade  that may have changed to Ayin in Aramaic
is relevant.  I do not believe that Aramaic predated Hebrew.  I believe that
they evolved separately along their own lines.  Unlike Karl, I strongly
believe that cognates from other semitic languages can be used to INFORM
Hebrew etymology, but I do not believe that it is determinative ie) it must
be taken with a grain of salt.
Karl:  For the most part, I also rely on the Tanakh to inform my
understanding of Biblical Hebrew.So here is a list from the Tanakh
1b to shout (Is16:10) 2b - Ra(a( (רעע) - to VIBRATE (move back and forth),
       shatter / impair (Jr15:12) ,           be broken down
(Jr15:12)(Jb34:24) 3a - Ra( (רע) - perception, thought  (Ps139:2,17)
3b - Ra(aH (רעה) - to welcome, befriend, desire, take delight in, enjoy
MaR(aH   companion (Jd14:20); to enjoy (Ps37:3)

Cordially,
David KolinskyMonterey CA