b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology of IKAR, KARAH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology of IKAR, KARAH
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:10:26 -0800

David and Matt:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
<nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>wrote:

> > /eKaR (????) "(digger =>) farmer" from KaRaH (???) "to dig."
> > Cordially,
> > David Kolinsky
> > Monterey CA
>
> i am not aware of the etymology "digger" for IKAR, and KRH is never used in
> BH
> with agricultural connotations, as far as i remember.

כרה KRH does not mean ‘to dig’ in Biblical Hebrew. Rather it means ‘ to
furnish as in to provide Pr 16:27’ . What may make people think that it
means to dig is that often KRH is used for those who provide a well by means
of digging.

There might be a connection between כרה KRH and אכר )KR, but that’s really
pushing the envelop of speculation, beyond where I care to go unless someone
can give a good connection based on recorded, extant, ancient writings.