b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ra`yon and `inyan and what can be learned
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:25:56 -0700 (PDT)

Randall and Karl,

I beg to differ with both of you.  There are a number of different roots from
which any word spelled (רעיון) Ra(YoN  may have evolved:

Those derived from a literal meaning of "to spread out / disperse":
1a - RooW(a (רוע) - found in the hiphil "to sound an alarm" and t'RooW(ah
(תרועה) shout, alarm
1b - Ra(a( - (רעע) to shout

2a - Ra(aH (רעה) - to put out to pasture / feed, graze, to lead, go out with
       ((2ai YaRa( (ירע)- to move back and forth))  -- NOT A POTENTIAL SOURCE
2b - Ra(a( (רעע) - to VIBRATE (move back and forth), shatter, be broken down,
be impaired, treat badly, be displeasing

Those derived from a literal meaning of "receive / perceive"
3a - Ra( (רע) - perception, thought
3b - Ra(aH (רעה) - to welcome, befriend, desire, take delight in, enjoy

In all probability, both uses in Qohelet come from 3b:

"taking delight in the wind" = >>>>  futility
"taking delight of his heart" = >>>> the labor of the heart

Cordially,

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA