b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karl on KRH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karl on KRH
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:21:33 -0300

karl,

as long as i "dig" i cannot "provide" much evidence to your translation. as i
do not have an
"engine", my list below may be missing one or two items.

1) in all the ones i managed to  find, KRH only appears in the context of a
pit.
so, either it means "to dig", or the etymology you indicate, "to prepare", is
restricted to pits. but this is not how languages function.

2) the other terms for digging (other than KRH) are NOT used for pits. so,
according to your reading,
all the BH pits, real or figurative,  were "prepared" and none of them was
really dug.

2)  i concede that both "dig" and "prepare" are plausible translations in
most places. but i do not see a single place where "dig" is not
a natural fit.  in some of these sentences, though, "to prepare" would be a
poor fit. see my annotations below.

3) "dig" fits well into a group of semitic words going back to (and quite
widely used in) akkadian.  "to prepare" would be a "word isolate"
in hebrew, maybe in semitic, unless you show otherwise.

4) most bible translations give  "dig".

yours,
nir cohen

PS the "roots" KR and QR seem to have a common ancestry, which has to do with
hammering on soil or stone. perhaps
onomatopoeic?". isaac, david, any ideas?...

job 6:27 Yea, ye would cast lots upon the fatherless, and dig a pit for your
friend.
-----------

gen 26:25 And he builded an altar there, and called upon the name of the
LORD, and pitched
his tent there; and there Isaac's servants digged a well.

provided: to whom?
--------------

exodus 21:33 And if a man shall open a pit, or if a man shall dig a pit and
not cover it, and an
ox or an ass fall therein,

provide a pit, for the ox?    :) :)
---------------

psalms 57:7 They have prepared a net for my steps, my soul is bowed down; {N}
they have digged a pit before me, they are fallen into the midst thereof
themselves. Selah

(observe: KRH was used for the pit, not for the net. also, digged a pit
BEFORE me, not FOR me!!! here, "provided" makes no sense at all.)
------------------

psalms 119:85 The proud have digged pits for me, which is not according to
Thy law.
-------------------

psalms 7:16 He hath digged a pit, and hollowed it, and is fallen into the
ditch which he made.
-------------------

psalms 94:13 That Thou mayest give him rest from the days of evil, until the
pit be digged for the wicked.
--------------------

jeremiah 18:20 Shall evil be recompensed for good? for they have digged a pit
for my soul. Remember
how I stood before Thee to speak good for them, to turn away Thy wrath from
them.

jeremiah 18:22 Let a cry be heard from their houses, when thou shalt bring a
troop
suddenly upon them; for they have digged a pit to take me, and hid snares for
my feet.

proverbs 26:27 Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein; and he that rolleth a
stone, it shall return upon him.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:13:34 -0700, K Randolph wrote