b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology of IKAR, KARAH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology of IKAR, KARAH
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:07:19 -0500

As to the question what came first the omelet or the egg, my answer is that the root KR (cum variants GR, HR, XR, QR) came first.

You are right in saying that the Hebrew bible is not absolutely detailed as to the job description of the ancient IKAR, yet it is plenty clear that he was a worker of the land, possibly what we call today a PALAX, rather than, say, a herder of sheep.

You are also right (and we don't need "Akkadian" for this) that the root KR may refer to breaking up as well as to piling up, having to do with the symmetrical view of the language of the positive and the negative. In fact, we have from this root the verb KARAH, 'dig', as in Ps. 7:16, as well as 'buy', in Dt. 2:6 (being possibly related to SAKAR, 'accumulate'). Also KUR, 'crucible ', as in Dt. 4:20, and also KIYOR and KIYRA-YIM. We have from this root also the object KAR, 'pillow, saddle', as in Gen. 31:34, or 'hillock, meadow', as in Isaiah 30:23. We have from it also KOR, 'pile' as in 1R 4:22.

It is conceivable that this is also of the meaning of the fraction KR of KEREM and KARMEL.

The Russian gora is good, and so is the German Acker.

Isaac Fried, Boston University