b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qames hatuph - syllable and sheva

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Sébastien Louis <sebalou AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qames hatuph - syllable and sheva
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:27:51 +0100

Sébastien,

you bring here two different cases.

1. You refer to the word we find in Dt 6:5. There are other similar cases in
the Bible (look for instance at Ps 55:23; at 1Sa 9:10 or at Gn 40:19).

Remark:
-All nouns consisting of three root letters, the first one having shewa and
the second one having qamats (all....with *five* exceptions) ------> take
qamats under the second consonant when they take the masculine suffix for
you (male).

--Most nouns consisting of three root letters, the first one having tsere
(long e) and the second one having qamats (the word you mention is one of
these: look at Dt 28:28 for the basic or absolute) behave similarly if they
do not come from roots ayin-waw nor have a guttural for their first root
consonant.
2. The Hoph'al.

The first syllable in the Hoph'al is ALWAYS read with vowel 'o' and in the
unvowellized writing a waw is inserted.

So, הָקְטַל

is ALWAYS read or pronounced as "hoqtal" and it is always written as הוקטל
in the writing without vowels (namely the usual Israeli script...)

You have other cases in Jr 6:6, Joel 1:9 and in Dn 9:1

Is this clear enough for your purposes?

Heartly

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)