b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] My name in ancient Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] My name in ancient Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:57:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:18 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] My name in ancient Hebrew

I have heard that the belief that you can count the letters of the Torah and find hidden words is part of Jewish tradition. I thought on B-Hebrew you can't attack other people's religious beliefs, so why are people calling it part of the "dark side" of scholarship meant to make money. There are religious people who believe in it, so I think it is wrong to attack it on a forum for discussing Biblical Hebrew and not religous beliefs of Jews and some Christians who are now doing this.
Why don't the commentators stop this anti-religious discussion?

Kenneth Greifer
***

Anyway, people have the right to "believe" whatever they like to believe,
especially if it does not cause any harm to others.
If you cannot accept expressions of dissent or rejection of your "beliefs", then you're the one who has a problem.
Characterizing these regular expressions as "attacks" or "anti-religious" is nothing but a fallacy.
The only thing that is really objectionable about those Kabalistic fancies is that it somewhat falls beyond the scope of the list.

Arnaud Fournet