b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:20:34 +0000

I have an idea for an alternative translation of Zechariah 4:6-7 that I asked
people on B-Hebrew to look at once before, but only one person answered me,
so I thought I would try again.

The usual translation is "Not by power and not by might, but by My spirit,
says the L-rd of hosts. Who are you big mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will
become a plain."

I think this translation has problems because it does not explain what the
mountain is and it does not really say "you will become a plain."

I think the letter hay at the end of "you" should be moved to the front of
the word "mountain", so the quote might say "not in power and not in might,
but in My spirit, says the L-rd of hosts, who is with (alef tav) the big
mountain is before Zerubbabel to a plain." I think it means that the person
who is with a mountain in G-d's spirit (not in strength and power) is to a
plain (flat land) in spirit before Zerubbabel. Compared to Zerubbabel, a
person with a mountain in spirit is to a plain or has nothing compared to
him.

Some people say the word "who" is only used for questions, but there are
other quotes with "who" (mi) used in declarative sentences. For example,
Deut. 21:1 and Ex. 24:14. The word spirit is used with "with" Numb. 14:24
another spirit is with Caleb.

Kenneth Greifer
P. S. I think many quotes could be translated differently or have the Hebrew
letters divided differently. If you would like to look at more quotes like
this, you can go to my site http://www.messianicmistakes.com/

  • [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7, kenneth greifer, 01/13/2011