b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:6 play on words?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:6 play on words?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:23:27 +0000

Just for fun, I would like to give an alternative translation of Psalm 2:6.
In Psalm 2, the kings of the earth say that they want to break free from G-d
and His anointed one (probably David). Then it says that G-d laughs at them
and becomes angry and says "and I have set up (poured out) My king upon Zion,
My holy mountain."

I think in Psalm 2:6 G-d might say "and (but) I have poured out (I will pour
out) My ruling (infinitive of the verb) upon Zion, My holy mountain." Maybe
this is a play on words that G-d has anointed Zion with His ruling, so they
can't break free from the rule of G-d and His anointed one, Zion.

Kenneth Greifer
http://www.messianicmistakes.com/

  • [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:6 play on words?, kenneth greifer, 01/13/2011