b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Does it make sense?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Does it make sense?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:57:15 -0600

הבאישו נמקו חבורתי מפני אולתי׃

Pere, the English translations all say essentially the same thing.

I suspect the same would be true of Spanish translations.

Are you struggling with the translation itself or the interpretation?

If for example you can imagine David suffering from some sort of open sore on
his body (possibly an STD, for instance), and him thinking that the ailment
was a result of something he did in his earlier life, the Hebrew text makes
perfect sense.

Sometimes Occam's Razor can apply even to biblical Hebrew.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA