b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] words with the same root letters: XCC-N TMR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <jimstinehart AT aol.com>, <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] words with the same root letters: XCC-N TMR
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:05:43 +0100

From: JimStinehart AT aol.com

Prof. Yigal Levin wrote: “Jim, since I don't know Hurrian I can't argue with you, but there is no reference to "Amorites" in EA 175, and what in the world does anything there have to do with Hazazon-Tamar?”

My prior two posts focused on the Hurrian issue of Hazazon-Tamar/XCC-N TMR being xa-tsi-tsi-ni tam-ri in Hurrian.
***
I did not respond to one of your previous mails
but hassissi or hazizi are obviously borrowings from Akkadian and not native "Hurrian" words.
Again you chose a Semitic loanword to explain a Semitic word.
There's nothing Hurrian in there.
A.
***

But perhaps the real focus of Prof. Levin’s question is whether the name of the princeling ruler in Amana Letter EA 175 is an Amorite name [with Genesis 14: 7 explicitly mentioning the Amorites in connection with XCC-N TMR]. Although I touched upon that issue in my prior post, let me focus on that key issue here. It will also give us a chance to take a controversial look at the name of a little-known grandson of Asher.

Most scholars, including Anson Rainey, Wm. Moran and Richard Hess, see the name of the princeling ruler of Hasi in Amarna Letter EA 175 as being west Semitic. A west Semitic princeling in the Beqa Valley in the Amarna Age would be expected to be an Amorite, since Lebanon was the homeland of the Amorites at that time.
***
??

Amorites were about everywhere, as early as the beginning of the 2nd millennium !?

A.
***

Anson Rainey and Wm. Moran see the first element of this princeling’s name as being Ilu or Il. That’s the classic indication of an Amorite name, since “Ilu” is the Amorite name for their deity. The full name of the Amorite deity was probably “Ilu Amurru”, but the “Amurru” portion of such deity’s name virtually never appears in names, whereas “Ilu” is common in Amorite names. Frank Moore Cross, “Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic” (1997), at pp. 57-58.

The classic Amorite princeling name in the Amarna Letters is Milk-ilu. Although there are many possible interpretations of this name, one is: “(The Amorite God) Ilu (Is) King”, or simply: “Ilu King”. Milk-ilu is associated with Rubutu and Gezer in the Aijalon Valley. He likely represents the furthest southern extent of the historical Amorites in the mid-14th century BCE.

Startlingly, at p. 114 of “Amarna Personal Names” (1993), Richard S. Hess cites a Biblical attestation of what might be this same name: “Hebrew malki’el, Genesis 46: 17….” That’s MLKY)L, a grandson of Asher. The Blue Letter Bible gives the innocuous meaning of this name as “my king is God”. But another possible interpretation would be that this is an historical name of an Amorite princeling, and as such might have [or at least might originally have had] the seemingly blasphemous meaning of “(The Amorite God) Ilu (Is) King”, or simply: “Ilu King”.

Why would the Hebrew author of the Patriarchal narratives risk blasphemy in order to memorialize this particular name? Historical Milk-ilu in the Amarna Letters has the same name as MLKY)L at Genesis 46: 17, but more importantly he may be the historical model for Biblical Mamre in chapter 14 of Genesis. Asher’s grandson MLKY)L is named after the historical Amorite princeling Milk-ilu (Biblical nickname ‘Mamre’, meaning “The Amorite”) in the Aijalon Valley with whom Abraham was allied and who helped Abraham rescue Lot on that dangerous mission into Syria. When we look at Genesis 46: 17, we are seeing the actual historical name of the historical Amorite princeling in the Aijalon Valley with whom the first Hebrews were historically allied. Rather than being Biblical fiction, as scholars would have it, this is attested historical fact, as verified by the Amarna Letters.

In my considered opinion, the princeling ruler of Hasi in Amarna Letter EA 175 has the name Ilu-da-a-ya, which is an Amorite name, featuring Ilu as the name of the Amorite deity. There was in fact an enclave of Amorite princelings at and near Hasi in the Hurrian-dominated Beqa Valley in Year 14 (of Akhenaten’s reign), exactly as the second half of Genesis 14: 7 states the matter to be. The p-i-n-p-o-i-n-t historical accuracy of the Patriarchal narratives in a mid-14th century BCE context is utterly astonishing.
***
hm
this is not the most astonishing part of that "theory".

Arnaud Fournet