b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a tale of three languages: a case study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a tale of three languages: a case study
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:43:27 -0500

Given the fact that there need be no "horizontal" relationship between words of the same root (say, MI-$OL, 'path', $UAL, 'fox', and *$IUL, 'cough') it is far from clear if EREC $UAL of 1S 13:17 is 'the land of the foxes', or what is EREC $AALIYM of 1S 9:4. It is possible that $AALBIYM is the compound $AAL-ABIYM, but who knows. I tend to think that biblical place names are mostly derived from the local topography rather than the local fauna and flora.

Isaac Fried