b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] will: modern vs. old hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] will: modern vs. old hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:22:58 -0300

hello will,

first i want to refer to your comment on the difference between
the examples i cited:

i do not believe that a nation's sentiment to its language
is influenced by knowing the past trajectory of this language.
both religious jews and nationalist israelis believe, for better
or for worse, that hebrew had always been used, and only had
suffered setbacks here and again. most of them (including, i
discover, myself) do not know the facts about jewish life in
the early diaspora. still, they consider old hebrew as part
and parcel of their language.

returning to your question, below i try to describe what i mean
by "modern hebrew subsumes old hebrew". basically, jews throughout
history were careful not to change hebrew as it appears in the bible.
it is exactly for this reason that i as an israeli find it so easy
to read the bible.

all the revisions of old hebrew (mishnaic, medieval, modern
etc) were made so as to preserve all the features of the canonized torah.
most words have been preserved VERBATIM and without a change of meaning,
the grammer has been preserved TO THE LETTER. the old past form
VAYEDABER was abandoned, but the new form DIBER is also biblical. the
accusative/genitive suffix (UNETATIXA, MIPI) etc is not the rule anymore, but
is still used (MA SHIMXA etc). the 7 binyanim are just as in the bible,
without any change. ALL the grammatical rules of the bible are respected,
though not all are studied at school and/or are respected
(say, nobody nowadays drops the DAGESH in beged-kefet berosh mila
(KI-VAXAR instead of KI-BAXAR).

most of the later modifications in the language are merely
additions, and those additions which diverged from the
original have been later abandoned.

journalistic hebrew deviates slightly due to lack of vowels, and adds freely
aleph, yod, vav where they do not belong. some daily-use dictionaries,
and many authors, already adopt this modified way of writing, altogether in a
non-uniform way.

clearly, street language, slang, and internet talk are pretty different.
for example, most israelis cannot spell correctly, apply the vowel system.
or use the DAGESH correctly. exactly because

NO GRAMMAR/SPELLING/PUNCTUATION REVISION HAS EVER BEEN INTRODUCED.

so, in this sense i do not completely agree with karl when he says that modern
hebrew has different grammar than biblical hebrew. just a
little bit.

in the broader cultural sense, biblical (and to some degree, mishnaic)
quotations are frequent in common daily use, biblical hebrew features in
songs, poems and other literay work, much more so
than shakespeare in english.

nir cohen

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:32:31 -0500 (EST), Will Parsons wrote