b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karl: hebrew is dead?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl: hebrew is dead?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:01:24 -0300

karl,

i agree that the thread on the use of hebrew in the first millenium was
getting along without the proper definitions. but this was not my fault.

> I think we need to define terms before confidently announcing the “death”
> of Hebrew.

...nor this! my email did, in fact, make a clear distinction between the
biblical and non-biblical language (pls read again!), and in fact was
concerned more in defining the "possible clients of massoretic products", as
they were coined earlier. the allusion to the death of hebrew in my title was
just to register my uneasiness with some previous allusions to this end.

my main point, in simple words, was that the existence of a quite large group
of
rabbinic school students, throughout these two millenia, whose knowledge in
BIBLICAL (!) hebrew was considerable, in spite of the anachrony, and who were
craving for reliable sources of text and interpretation, is all which is
necessary to create a market for these "products". in this respect, it is
completely irrelevant what was the language jews were using at home and in
the street, contrary to the direction the thread was taking.

the second objective of my email was to reinforced the opinion that the "use"
of hebrew in these circles (the rabbinical schools) was completely different
than that of reciting a text to the whole congregation, as is the custom,
say, in the catholic church with latin.

nir cohen

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:23:30 -0800, K Randolph wrote