b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genitives/construct state in Isa 9:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.'" <donaldrvance AT mac.com>, "'Kenneth Litwak'" <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>, "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genitives/construct state in Isa 9:5
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:24:32 -0500

Just because the final 3 names are 2-word pairs does not mean that the 1st
name must be a 2-word pair also.
The 1st in a group can be special.

Pele is 1st because it is salient. The 1st characteristic of this promised
son is that he is beyond human comprehension.
It doesn't do justice to pele to make it a modifier of "counselor", as in
"counselor beyond human comprehension", or "wonderful counselor".
Pele stood alone in Jud 13:18.

On the other hand, "counselor" seems too common to stand alone, just as
"hero", "father" and "prince" are too common to stand alone. But maybe not.
I don't have a better solution.

I have been toying with the idea that el gibor means "God-man". If there was
no waw in gibor, I would have a case, because without the waw, gbr always
refers to a human being. If anyone has anything pro or con, I would
appreciate it.

Fyi - Abiyud, "Father of eternity" is 1 word in MT, but 2 words in DSS.
Yet Immanuel is 1 word in DSS (Isa 7:14; 8:8,10), but 2 words in MT, making
it ambiguous in MT whether "Immanuel" or "God is with us" is meant in 8:10.

DSS also has the def. article on shalom.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Blessed is the man who walks not in
the world's counsel of sin,
nor standeth in the sinners' way,
nor with the scornful stays,
because he delights in the law
of the Lord, and in awe
he meditates both day and night.
His mind is being made right. (Psalm 1:1-2)

Morphologically,
> CR could be either abs or cs but is clearly cs in this instance.
"Supernatural
> counselor"
> doesn't seem possible to me for PL> YW<X. The word order is wrong. If you
> connect them it would yield something like "a counseling miracle"
> which doesn't make sense, at least to me. HALOT gives "a marvel of a
counselor."
> Go figure. Breaking up the pairs that can be separated yields, "Miracle,
Counselor,