b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qatal in Gen 43:9, 14 and Michel's theory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • Cc: biblical hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qatal in Gen 43:9, 14 and Michel's theory
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:18:00 -0800

Joseph:

Thanks for this description. I never heard of Diethelm Michel before, so
thank you for referencing his explanation.

One thing I have noticed is that when the Yiqtol is used in the optative or
subjunctive mood, then following Qatals are used to indicate what the
results will be. I think he would include this pattern in his “way” #2
listed below.

One reason I found this interesting is because, independently of him, I have
come to similar conclusions.

Karl W. Randolph.