b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genitives/construct state in Isa 9:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genitives/construct state in Isa 9:5
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:56:55 -0800 (PST)

This last weekend I read a commentary on Isa 9:1-6 in preparation for a
sermon. The author stated that Isa 9:5 has four pairs of words, and since
three of those pairs have a genitive relationship, the fourth, PL) YW(C,
likely does as well (making it "supernatural counselor" rather than
"wonderful, counselor). In looking at the other pairs, however, SR SLWM
appears to be the only pair in construct. )L GBWR and )BY (D just look like
nouns followed by adjectives. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Ken