b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:33:43 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:29 AM

Greek, as a non-Semitic language, does not even come close. As I wrote
before, the Septuagint can be used as a witness to the text and its
interpretation, but not as a "cognate".

Generations of seminary students have wished that they were cognate, because studying one cognate language after you've had another makes the second much easier. If you've had Hebrew, Aramaic is a walk in the park while the flowers are blooming and the birds are chirping (or at least, the camels making their guttaral hiccups). In Classics programs, there is a reason why Latin often precedes Greek, but start with either one, and the second one is easier, at least at the beginning levels. But start with Greek and move to Hebrew, or Hebrew and then to Greek -- it's just not the same (and I mean that on multiple levels).

N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)
V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
bhofstetter AT tnars.net
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry