b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:13:07 +0200

Fred, you are confusing language with alphabet - or, more correctly, writing
system, since not every writing system is an alphabet. There are plenty of
languages that did not develop their own writing system, either remaining
unwritten or adopting and adapting someone else's writing system. Writing
systems often cross from one language family into another. The earliest true
writing system that we know of was Sumerian Cuneiform, which was later
adopted and adapted by Akkadian, Eblaite, Hittite, Elamite, Persian and a
whole lot of other languages from different language families. Persian was
later written using the Phlavi script, then the Aramaic alphabet and since
the 9th century the Arabic alphabet. In some former Soviet republics, Persian
dialects are written in Cyrillic. For another example, the Turkish
language(s) was (were) totally oral, until the Turks arrived in the Middle
East and adopted the Arabic alphabet, together with the Islamic religion. And
so Turkish, which is not a Semitic language, was written for centuries with
the Arabic alphabet, with a few extra diacritics to handle sounds that
Turkish has and Arabic does not. Then, in the 1920, as part of his effort to
westernize and secularize Turkey, Kemal Attaturk decreed that Turkish be
written in the Latin alphabet, as it has been ever since (so far). This does
not make Turkish a Romance language any more than it was a Semitic language
before.

So yes, the Greek alphabet is a direct descendant of the
Canaanite/Phoenician/Hebrew alphabet, which is why we have Aleph Bet Gimmel
Dalet/Alpha Beta, Gamma, Delta. And post-biblical Hebrew was influenced by
Greek. But this does not make Greek and Hebrew cognate languages. The two are
from different families, and basically unrelated.

The second issue that you brought up was the Septuagint. The Septuagint is a
Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible. As such, it does provide important
insights into the way the biblical text was understood in antiquity. It also
gives us information about the development of the Hebrew text, since, as you
wrote, our earliest manuscripts of the Septuagint are much earlier than out
earliest manuscripts of the MT (although we do have the Hebrew texts of the
Dead Sea Scrolls, which are earlier than our earliest Septuagint mss). So
using the Septuagint as a guide to the meaning of the Hebrew text is
certainly relevant to this list.

On the other hand, the Septuagint IS "just" a translation. We do not have the
"original" Hebrew text that they were using. In fact, legends aside, we don't
even really know just who "they" were and where and when they lived. The
Septuagint is also a rather interpretive translation, often giving what the
translator thought the text should be, not what it actually said.

Given all that, yes, the Septuagint is important but let's not get carried
away.

Yigal Levin