b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:10:48 -0500

The only application of grammatology (the study of lettering, or
alphabets (crudely
put)) to Classical Hebrew is to ask if certain text-critical variants may
have arisen due to the similarity of the archaic letters (e.g., archaic
*he*and
*waw*), although (as many have noted) textual criticism is not an "alphabet
game".

Since the physical representation of a (any) language is always secondary in
the language's history. That is, no known language began as writing which
then gave rise to a system of speech; "writing", whatever its
form--syllabic, logographic, or acrophonic (i.e., one that we would
recognize as an "alphabet")--is always an attempt to reproduce speech.

Letters are not part and parcel of language, since the same letters (such as
these with which I type this) can be used for many languages; perhaps this
means that we can think of writing systems as "meta-lingual", even if a
particular system is or was used in one culture for one language.

I'm not sure what the second paragraph is asking. Sorry. (I've been reading
a lot of student papers.)

Nor am I sure what the word "instruct" means in the third paragraph
(incidentally, "Hurrian" and "Ugaritic" are *languages* which were written
in cuneiform, which is a *writing system*). We do occasionally use the Greek
alphabet to "understand" the Hebrew text, but this is because the Septuagint
(LXX) transliterates proper names and a few other words, which we can use as
a clue to the pronunciation of pre-Masoretic Hebrew. This is not, however,
the same as using Greek to "understand" the Hebrew text in the sense of
"interpret".

We also discuss the relationships between, and apparent development of,
different systems of writing (this is also part of grammatology), which can
help us see that, e.g., sounds represented by two different signs or sets of
signs in one language are represented by only one sign in another. It tends
to be more helpful when we can be fairly certain of the chronological
relationships between languages, which is why there is a great deal of study
of, e.g., the grammatology of English, as when we ask how many "sounds" are
represented by the "sign" "ou"?.

And some of this discussion is related to the study of Canaanite
inscriptions ("Canaanite" is a term given to the group of related languages
used in and around Canaan (Phoenician, Hebrew, Moabite, &c.).), but this
takes afield of the purpose of this list (if I have not already strayed too
far), and I need to get back to reading papers. I hope that this is at least
interesting.

Best wishes.

Fred