b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cognate alphabet
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:37:13 -0600

Are not letters part and parcel of language?

Is not alphabet (consonants and vowels) of languages cognate routinely
discussed here, as a highway for understanding hebrew corresponding letters
(consonants and vowels)?

Why do hurrian or ugarit or cuneiform letters instruct the hebrew alefbet,
but greek letters do not? Or perhaps none is efficacious for guiding
understanding of the other?

regards,

fred burlingame