b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem (was nifty)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem (was nifty)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:36:43 -0600

Hello Randall:

Thanks for your comments.

Please allow me to respond.

The shekel inscription differs dramatically from the millennium
later masoretic text ("m.t.") in the following particulars.

a. no niqqud (vowel pointing);

b. no dagesh (emphasis pointing);

c. no teamim (accent marks);

d. old printed letter form.

The qumran isaiah scroll frequently includes vowels in words. The
corresponding later m.t., frequently excludes those vowels and substitutes
niqqud.

http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/qumdir.htm

One would hence expect in the m.t., the exclusion of the second occuring yod
in ye-ru-sha-la-yim, and substituted niqqud.

I recognize that I am identifying changes in form rather than substance from
shekel inscription to m.t. But then again, english and greek scholars
contend for changes in form (from the original hebrew text), rather than
substance, in their beloved kjv and septuagint, respectively; a position I
doubt most here, would endorse.

At some point, nevertheless, enough change in form accomplishes the change
in substance, from "duck" to "goose." Has that happened in respect of the
shekel coin inscription of 68 a.d., to the m.t., of 1068 a.d.? ... Probably
not. Should the changes be discounted as "much ado about nothing?" ...
Probably not.

I am not sure about your two other comments.

a. ha-ko-de-sha? The added "heh" letter at the end of the word does not
appear in the m.t.?

b. and letters for numbers would appear to confirm the m.t., continues
tradition from the inscription in that respect.?

regards,

fred burlingame