b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the little things

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the little things
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:34:14 -0500

Hello Dave:

I am expert in these matters, not.

But i do believe that most reasonable people, having heard the below
quoted expert testimony, would conclude a mishnaic hebrew language for this
document, rather than biblical hebrew.

" " It is clear that the writers of the scroll, especially the earlier
scribe who copied most of the text, were expert craftsmen and excellent
proofreaders.

To endow the work with a divine authority, the author clearly strove to
imitate biblical, especially Pentateuchal, Hebrew. However, despite his
determined efforts, the scroll's grammar is clearly not that of the Torah or
the rest of the Bible, and its language reflects the syntax and vocabulary
of the late Second Temple period and is similar to the Hebrew of the Rabbis.
The characteristic linguistic features of the Temple Scroll include the use
of compound verbs; a preference for words current in the author’s own time
rather than their First Temple period equivalents; the use of technical
terms associated with the Temple and appearing exclusively in the Mishnah;
othera typically Mishnaic collocations, legal phrases, and general usages;
and words, terms, and idioms typical of other Judean Desert scrolls. " "

*" " Dating and Origin*

Most contemporary scholars believe that the Temple Scroll was composed in
the Land of Israel in the late Second Temple period, or, more precisely, in
the second half of the second century BCE (after 120 BCE, perhaps during the
reign of John Hyrcanus I?). Among the main arguments for this view are the
following:

1. The earliest extant copy of the scroll (4Q524), if it is indeed a copy
and not an entirely different work, was copied in Hasmonean semi-cursive
script (150-125 BCE).
2. The scroll's language is closely related to Mishnaic Hebrew. " "

regards,

fred burlingame