b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the little things

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the little things
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:04:55 +1100

The lentition of the letters bgdkpt is usually placed much later. Many think it came in after the Exile. So the answer is no, no C12th BCE Hebrew speaker would have known of this. But after it did become part of Hebrew, yes, ordinary speakers would notice. Anyone who used the wrong variant would have sounded either 'wrong' or 'foreign', just like in languages today that have the same phenomenon.

This brings us back to a point often made: the Hebrew we have in the Masoretic texts represents the way Hebrew was chanted in the second half of the 1st millennium CE. As part of the tradition of Hebrew, it is part of the evidence of how Hebrew was spoken in the 1st or 2nd millennium BCE, but it is not, nor was it meant to be, a trascription of how Moses, David or Ezra pronounced Hebrew.

Kevin Riley