b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:45:25 -0400

1. You are right, but we don't need, methinks, no Ammonite to foresee the possibility that once upon a time, corresponding to BEN (or possibly even BIN), 'son', Hebrew had BIN-T, 'daughter'. I agree with you on the fickleness of the Hebrew letter N.

2. Here our premises diverge. I believe the dagesh predates the NIKUD by many years. The NIKUD, I believe, was done (mostly) according to an already existing system of dgeshim.

3. There is no mystery there at all. I have never seen anything to make me think that "Akkadian" can help us clarify anything in biblical Hebrew, and Arabic likewise.

4. I agree with you that the Moabite Meisha inscription is nearly "modern Israeli", and so the Ashmunezer inscription (as far as we can separate the words).

5. Methinks that EZOB (אזוב) is a variant of ESOB (עשב), 'grass'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University