b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] dagesh
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:23:19 -0700 (PDT)

1. It is not clear to me who these "Masoretes" are.
Do you mean the
NAKDANIYM?

    --  yes  (UH)

2. I would have expected a dagesh in the T of BITI (בתי),
this T  coming after a letter marked by a Xirek, no
t followed by a Yod. I  tend to think that the dagesh
in the T preceded the nikud by possibly  a thousand years,
serving as an early reading clue or prop in the
absence of vowels.
3. The plural, or any other inflected form, may have
come from an  earlier obsolete form of the singular.

  --  The simple answer is that the Hebrew, Phoenician,
Ammonite  "BAT" originated from the earlier "BNT".
The Nun drupped out completely in the  singular,
but left a pronpunciation-trace in declensions,
which  existed still in the the Masoretes time. They
heard it, and marked it with a dagesh.

  In the plural of original Nun remained, even in
declensions.

  Compare with P"N verbs in imperfect Qal.

  One does not need to know Arabic to check this.
The word 'bint' (daughter in Arabic) entered English
usage during their colonial experiences. It can be
found in every large English dictionay
published in the UK.            (UH)

4. I know they are irrelevant. I think we should
refrain from relying
on a hypothetically "reconstructed" language like "Akkadian",
for  which we are unable to verify for ourselves any
claim made about it.

   -- The mystery deepens: again one make assertions about
subjects with which one choses not to acquaint oneself.

   Your position clearly implies that biblical Hebrew
had nothing in common with its sister NW Semitic dialects,
or the wider linguistic horizon where it was in usage.

Ezov Haqyr,

   Uri Hurwitz                           Great Neck, NY

Isaac Fried, Boston University