b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:21:53 -0400

1. It is not clear to me who these "Masoretes" are. Do you mean the NAKDANIYM?
2. I would have expected a dagesh in the T of BITI (בתי), this T coming after a letter marked by a Xirek, not followed by a Yod. I tend to think that the dagesh in the T preceded the nikud by possibly a thousand years, serving as an early reading clue or prop in the absence of vowels.
3. The plural, or any other inflected form, may have come from an earlier obsolete form of the singular.
4. I know they are irrelevant. I think we should refrain from relying on a hypothetically "reconstructed" language like "Akkadian", for which we are unable to verify for ourselves any claim made about it.
5. I have read the article (and also what the 118 TOQBEQISTIM had to say about it) by Gilad Zuckerman of the University of Adelaide, South Australia, and have seen the first page of this "translation" of the Hebrew bible into lame Hebrew.

Isaac Fried, Boston University