b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yemenite Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 20:38:55 +0100

From: K Randolph

Anraud:
**
Arnaud in fact.
A.
***
(...)

K. R wrote:
You’re joking, right? After all the time that France was ruled by Germans, even the name “France” is a German word.
***
Germans??
As far as I know Germans ruled only four years...

France is a Frankish word, not a German word.
In addition Frankish is not the only Germanic language of the invaders: Flemish, Burgundian, Wisigoth, etc are represented.

In all cases, how long do you think they kept their languages alive?

As far as I know, none of the numerous Germanic loanwords has the second German Lautveschiebung.
A.
***

French and German are the only two languages that I know (I don’t know more than a few languages) that say “I am gone” (Ich bin gegangen, Je suis parti) instead of “I have gone”.
***
I suppose all Romance languages do the same: intransitive verbs of movement take "to be".
Sono venuto, andato, etc.
I suppose it's directly inherited from Latin.
A.
***

Actually, this is a pretty good example of why we think that Masoretic Hebrew reflects a millennium of accumulated mispronunciations, which is why we believe if Elijah were to arrive to drink his cup, he most likely would understand very little, if any, of modern Israeli.
Karl W. Randolph.
***
I seriously doubt it is anywhere close to being a "pretty good example".

And what about Hungarian?

Arnaud Fournet