b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] lateral fricatives and emphatics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] lateral fricatives and emphatics
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:28:13 -0700

Since the discussion was far afield from pi``el verbs showing
three root consonants, I thought I'd start a separate thread.

One item that intrigues me is the dating and history of Greek
'balsamon'.

If coming directly from Semitic we need to explain more than the
'-ls-'. The 'a' vowel is not really Canaanite. Hebrew shows a *u
vowel [bosem] and Phoenician was likely the same, since
their shifts went in the opposite direction *a->o, not *o->a.
Ex 30.23 does show one example of besem, which could
explain another word *basm.
More to the point, the Hittite/Ishmaelite[!] name Basmat raises
the question of a different intermediary language, or perhaps
the preservation of an older form of the word in a Canaanite
name.

Since I'm travelling and without easy access to a library with
Hittite materials, I'll leave the follow up to the list.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org

  • [b-hebrew] lateral fricatives and emphatics, Randall Buth, 11/03/2010