b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:36:31 -0400

You may have convinced Stoney, but your original proposition is still way off
base. The sole *surviving* witnesses are religious documents, but your
proposition assumes that those form a legitimate sampling of the entirety of
the historical works. You bring out as support to your proposition the case
of a people who had come from a lengthy stay in a land where both the trade
and legal languages were something other than Hebrew. One would not expect
that the average person would then maintain Hebrew as their lingua franca,
especially since there is significant evidence that many (perhaps most) chose
to assimilate into the new culture. How else should we interpret the fact
that there was not an en masse exodus to the homeland when such was allowed?
In this situation, we would expect that the ones who would preserve the "home
language" would be those who would have motivation other than trade or
day-to-day activities. Those who are more concerned with religious matters
would have such additional motivation. So it is not at all surviving when,
upon a revival of the religious matters, the average person, who might have
never even learned the Hebrew language, would need the ones who preserved the
language skill to explain the text to him.

We actually have Biblical claims that there were other documents written
during the kingdom period, the period before the captivity which I believe
caused the situation resulting in the priests needing to explain the text to
the average people. The books of the Kings make several references to
chronicles which have not survived to the modern period. Are you proposing
that those were written in a language other than Hebrew, or that those were
religious in character? I would expect that they were indeed written in
Hebrew, and were in general secular. If these were Hebrew secular documents
which did not survive the ages, why should we not expect that there would be
other, more mundane documents which were not preserved?

Your Exodus reference (is it really too difficult for people writing Hebrew
on this list to use right-to-left word order?) actually shoots your
proposition in the foot. If the nation is to be one of priests, would that
not imply that the nation as a whole would have the skills of the priesthood?
If, as is your proposition, those skills would include literacy, it would
follow that the nation in general would be literate. This response to Stoney
is an example of your habitual treatment of the Tanakh as a unified body.
This may be acceptable in theological discussions, but goes beyond what we
have generally agreed to do on this list. We may refer to other texts to
determine the meaning of a word or phrase or form, but to take the *teaching*
of a passage and use it to interpret the meaning of another passage is
getting away from the study of the language itself.

Every thread that you have tried to originate since you joined this list
seems to have been aimed at making general statements about the Hebrew Bible.
Perhaps your posts would be more in line with the historical purpose of this
list if you shifted your focus to the *elements* of the language and not the
language in general or culture/history of the Hebrew Bible.

Well, I'm going to crawl back into lurker mode. Too many other distractions
to lengthy discussions onlist!

Paul Zellmer