b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:09:40 -0500

Hello Bryant:

I refer to the first paragraph of your post.

I can and do speak only for myself here.
My understanding of this forum's internal operating rules and conditions
follows. I emphasize these rules originate with me, not.

1. This forum defines its boundaries of discussion as the masoretic text
("MT").

2. This forum forbids assertion of truth or falsity of the story told by the
MT.

The foregoing two rules govern and guide my posts.

I believe that:

a. the story told by the MT; and

b. the letters, words, sentences, and paragraphs of the MT;

appear joined together in one, indivisible language. Reasonable people
cannot divorce the above two components. To speak or comment on one part,
speaks necessarily of the other, and vice versa.

The perfect example of this conclusion includes the hebrew verb יהוה . That
word represents not simply a verb, perhaps defined as "to be,"
and conjugated in the third person singular, imperfect tense. Rather, it
defines and identifies a Person.

So, whether this forum considers the MT story as true, false or in suspended
animation ....; the story nonetheless becomes susceptible of separation from
its hebrew associated words and letters, not.

regards,

fred burlingame
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Bryant J. Williams III <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net