b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 57

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 57
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:08:31 -0700

Dear Pere:

Thanks, you have now widened the search to include a possible טום or טים as
well as the נטם I mentioned before.

Since I don’t know any cognate languages, for those who know cognate
languages, is there any root from any of these possibilities that would fit
this context?

Karl W. Randolph.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Remark, Karl, that our word could also be (theoretically) derived from a
> root ayin-waw (tum).
> We find samples of this kind in Gn 18:19; 2Sa 3:10; Js 4:3; Jr 44:25...
> And also from roots pe-yod: Neh 13:27; 1Ch 17:19
>
> Heartly,
>
> Pere Porta
>
> 2010/10/21 K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
>
>> Pere:
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Karl,
>>>
>>> 1. Concerning the last question in your message, yes, it looks like a
>>> Hiphil in a quite similar way of "l'hapyl" (1Sa 18:25), which is from
>>> 'nafal'.
>>> But.... it seems that verb 'natam' is not found in Hebrew.