b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 09:37:35 +0200

Dear Bryant,

Sources discussing the Tetragram in Egypt:

M. Lauenberger. "Jhwhs Herkunft aus dem Süden Archäologische Befunde-biblische Ûberlieferungen-historiche Korrelasjonen," Zeitschrift für die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft, 2010: 1-19.

Leclant, J. (1991). "Le "Tetragramme" à lepoque d´Aménophis III," in NearEastern Studies Dedicated to H. I. H. Prince Takahito Mikasa on the occation of His Seventy-Fifth Birthday. Wiesbaden, 215-219.

Giveon, R. (1971). Les Bédouins Shosou des Documents Égyptiens. Leiden:Brill.

Sources discussing West Semitic glosses in the Amarna letters:

W. L. Moran. "Amarna Studies: collected Writings." 2003.

S. Izre´el. "Canaano-Akkadian" 1998.

A. F. Rainey. "Canaanite in the Amarna tablets: a linguistic analysis of the mixed dialect used by the scribes from Canaan." 1996.

I have not previously looked for information on the Internet regarding the Tetragram in Egypt. Because you asked for links I searched the name "Soleb," and I found http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/2010/s10010053.htm and several others. You can also search for "Soleb".

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Dear Rolf,

You said:

Regarding the Egyptian material I will
add that the two occurrences of the name of God
YHW(W) have been found in in Soleb in the reign
of Amenhopis III (14th century B.C.E.) and one
occurrence i Amarna West in the temple of Raamses
II (13th century). The name is associated with
nomads living in an area including the later land
of Israel. As for the Amarna letters, to the
Canaanite glosses we can add some West Semitic
grammatical elements. So, people speaking a West
Semitic language definitely lived in the land of
Canaan in the 14th century. And they even may
have worshiped YHWH. And as you say, it is
obvious that their language did not originate
suddenly in that century.

Bryant:

Please send references to the above including links (if possible).

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III