b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ed Walkwitz <edwalkwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com, randallbuth AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

Randall and Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Randall: Thanks for your tip on Donald Wiseman. I'll try to get to the only
library I know of here in Des Moines that would have that and look it up.
Unfortunately, that may be a week or two. In the mean time, could I ask a
couple
follow-ups?
Even if one supposes that Gen. 10 is about political relationships at the
time
of Abraham, doesn't Gen. 9 make it clear that the curse on Canaan was based
on
the fact that Canaan was Ham's actual son? Wouldn't that make the Canaanites
ethnically non-semitic? As to who the Canaanites learned their semitic
language
from, maybe that's lost in history. But I'm sure we agree it happens a lot.
You
pointed out it happened to the Philistines.

In any case, it sounds like you agree that Abraham spoke Aramaic, and
switched
to Canaanite?

Other points you made: the post-exilic prophets wrote in Hebrew. Excellent
point; strange I hadn't thot about that; it reminds me of Watson's reaction
when
Sherlock points out something obvious that Watson hadn't thot of. But it
seems
everyone does claim the post-exilic Jews spoke Aramaic, or else the Targums
would have been unnecessary. Are you saying they actually spoke Hebrew? In
Nehemiah, I'm assuming the language of Judah was Aramaic, and the languages
of
Ashdod, Moab, and Ammon (13:23-24) had diverged sufficiently from Hebrew by
that
time. I know you've studied this a lot more than I have. If the Jews spoke
Hebrew at that time, I guess my main question would be, how do we explain the
evidence for the Jews speaking Aramaic at the time of Jesus, such as the
Targums?

Jim: Thanks also for your thots. I'm assuming that Moses wrote Genesis in
Hebrew, his language at the time, and he translated anything said in a
different
language into Hebrew, like the gospel writers translated Jesus Aramaic words
into Greek, though still introducing his quotes as, "he said..." Laban's
naming
of the witness heap would be one exception that Moses decided to preserve,
like
the gospel writer preserving Jesus' words, "Talatha koum" (sp?). As for
names,
two possibilities: 1) they were adapted to "pure Hebrew", as happens all the
time in languages, or, 2) Abram took a new "local" name. I've immigrants to
the
USA who have done that.

I can't see in the text that Abraham went from Canaan to Ur. It is worded
pretty
clearly the other way around.

Thanks. Ed Walkwitz, Des Moines, Iowa